It’s football season! That means one thing to foodies: FOOTBALL FOOD!
Gameday and tailgate food is its own unique cuisine. It’s not the most healthy food, but it doesn’t have to be a heart attack on a tortilla chip either.
These sliders were inspired by my Best Pork Chops You’ll Ever Eat, and they’ve been a hit with the football fans in my life. I hope you love them too!
Pork Chop Sliders
- 2 Small Boneless Pork Chops or 4 Cutlets
- 1 Large Granny Smith Apple
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Lite Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Teaspoon Lemon Juice Concentrate
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 Hot Dog Buns (Potato Buns, if available)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Whisk together soy sauce, lemon juice, paprika cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder in a medium sized bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you don’t have cutlets, slice pork chops in half to make them thin. Place them flat on a cutting board and lay your hand flat on top of the chop with fingers straight. Slice through, slowly, using a knife with a serrated edge. Saw back and forth while pressing down gently with your hand.
- Cut buns in half, so that you have 4 shorter, slider-length buns, and place them on a large cookie sheet, open with the insides facing upwards.
- Peel onion, and slice thin. Cut into 1-2 inch strips.
- Peel apples, and slice them into thin circles.
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
- Dredge the pork chops through the seasoning mix, coating both sides, and cook for 3 minutes per side in the skillet.
- Remove pork chops from the skillet and set aside.
- Add onions to the skillet with the chop drippings and vegetable oil. Saute them on medium until they are soft. Remove and set aside.
- Add apple slices to skillet and cook them on medium/low for 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat.
- Put buns on the center rack of the oven, and broil for about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes.
- Serve with the pork chops, apple slices, and grilled onions on the buns.
These don’t need any mayo or sauce, but they are enhanced by a little cilantro, if you like it.
Makes 4 sliders.