Made these yummy lamb chops with love tonight! I took my time and marinated them for about three hours, but you don’t have to do it for that long to still get a great chop. The secret is to grill them rare to medium rare, and eat them with your fingers.
Lamb Loin Chops with Asparagus
- 8 Fresh Lamb Loin Chops
- 2 Bunches of Fresh Asparagus
- 1 Cup of Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup of Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Fresh Rosemary
- 2 Large Lemons
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- Kosher Salt
- Crushed Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Rubbed Sage
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Dried Basil
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Lite Soy Sauce
This turns out best if you prep before cooking. You are going to marinate your chops in a zip lock bag for up to 3 hours (or less) while you prep your asparagus and tomatoes.
Mise en place for pork loin chops marinade:
- Slice 1 lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a large bowl, careful to remove any seeds. Slice the remaining lemon into thin, round slices.
- Add rosemary, sage, basil, and soy sauce to the bowl.
- Finely chop garlic clove, and add 1/2 of it to the bowl.
- Whisk all ingredients together until well blended.
- Stab lamb loin chops all over with the tines of a fork, and add them to the bowl with 1/4 cup of olive oil, lemon slices, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn chops over to coat well, and then pour everything in the bowl into a large zip lock baggie. Place in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes to 3 hours.
Mise en place for asparagus and tomatoes:
- Wash and dry asparagus and tomatoes.
- Cut thick, dry ends off of the asparagus, and slice the tomatoes in half, length-wise.
- Toss asparagus in a large bowl with 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 of the chopped garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
Set asparagus and tomatoes aside while waiting for chops to marinate.
Allow chops to marinate for at least 1/2 hour before grilling.
- Heat grill on high, and allow it to get fully hot before adding chops.
- Place Chops about 1-2 inches apart on the grill, with half of the marinated lemon slices beside them.
- Grill chops for 4 minutes per side. Do NOT overcook them. The centers should be red, and the outside seared (the lemon slices only need about 2-3 minutes per side).
- Allow the chops to rest with the grilled lemons on a large platter while you grill the veggies.
- Spread out the asparagus on the grill, so that it is easier to turn them over and so all of them cook. Grill for about 3 minutes per side, and then add asparagus to the platter beside the lamb loin chops.
- Turn the grill down to medium, and mix the remaining lemons and the marinade from the zip lock baggie into a bowl with the halved cherry tomatoes.
- Dump tomatoes and lemons onto the grill for 3 minutes, and then pour them over the top of the grilled asparagus.