The gluten-free part of this is just luck! Cornmeal just works out that way.
Somehow, this ends up tasting way more decadent than it actually is. I’m not saying this is diet food, but it’s safe for diabetics and Celiac’s kids, so it’s hard to believe it tastes so good.
Beef Tamale Pie
- 2 Pounds of Lean Ground Beef
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar
- 2 Cups Cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons of Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon of Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon of Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon of Oregano
- Sea Salt to taste
- Crushed Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Large Tomato
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chile (Mild)
- 1 1/2 Cup Roasted Corn (or frozen or canned rinsed well)
- 1 Package of McCormick’s Gluten Free Chili Mix
There is a lot of timing juggling on this one, so I’m giving you your prep ahead of time to make it easy.
Mice en place:
- Roast corn and remove from cob. See instructions.
- Dice onion, bell peppers, and tomato, and set aside.
- Measure milk, cornmeal, butter, spices, and set aside.
- Open cans.
- Brown lean ground beef in a large skillet.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain ground beef, retaining some of the grease for the onions and peppers, and set it aside.
- Add chopped onions and chopped bell peppers to skillet with beef grease. Add salt and pepper to help break down the veggies. Heat on medium for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Return ground beef to skillet with onions and peppers. Add canned tomatoes with chile and corn and heat on low. Stir in chopped tomato, oregano, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and package of Chile Mix. Add 1/2 cup of water and turn up heat to simmer.
- Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add 1/2 cup of cornmeal to 1 cup of water, and whisk together well.
- Pour water and cornmeal into meat mixture, and stir until well blended. Turn up heat to almost boiling. Stir, cover, and turn heat down to simmer.
- Allow beef/cornmeal mixture to simmer for 8-10 minutes, covered.
- While beef/cornmeal mixture is simmering, pour the milk and butter into a medium sized saucepan, add a big pinch of salt, and heat to just under boiling.
- Whisk the rest of the cornmeal into the milk, and remove from the heat.
- Whisk eggs and 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar into the milk and cornmeal, and set aside.
- Spray pie tin or large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour all of the beef mixture into the dish.
- Pour the cornmeal/milk mixture on top of the meat mixture, taking extra care to get all around the edges first, working your way into the middle. Leave a small opening in the center of the pie.
- Place in the oven to bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the pie, and return to the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Makes 8 servings.