I think this recipe is strongly Okie. It’s barbecue, it’s shepherd’s pie, and it was inspired by leftovers.
You can use fresh pork ribs or leftovers. Either way, this is delicious and easy!
Barbecue Pork Rib Shepherd’s Pie
- 4 Large Leftover Barbecue Pork Ribs (if you are using uncooked ribs, simply broil them for 3 minutes per side before starting this recipe).
- 3 Tablespoons Barbecue Sauce
- 1/2 Package Instant Brown Gravy Mix
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Roasted Corn or 1 Can of Corn
- 2-3 Cups Leftover Mashed Potatoes (or instant mashed potatoes made from flakes)
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 1/2 Large Red Bell Pepper
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Cut pre-cooked or leftover pork ribs into bite-sized cubes or strips.
- Mix everything except mashed potatoes and half of the corn together in a large bowl.
- Spoon mixture into a large, ungreased casserole dish.
- Cover with the other half of the corn.
- Spoon leftover or premade mashed potatoes over entire dish until completely covered in mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 400 degrees F until hot and bubbly under the mashed potatoes (approx. 30 minutes).
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
For added flavor, top with grated cheddar cheese during the last 5 minutes of baking.