Oh, this stuff is yum! I think it’s better than “real” caramel. It’s pretty easy to make, but you want to be very gentle with it. Cook low and slow.
Coconut Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Coconut Oil or Ghee
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- Put vanilla extract and coconut oil into a cup together and set aside.
- Bring coconut milk to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk in coconut sugar and salt, and immediately turn down the heat to a very low simmer. For the next 30 minutes, occasionally whisk very gently, keeping the heat low.
- As the sauce darkens, begin to constantly whisk to keep the sauce from sticking to the bottom of the pot and burning. Once the sauce is amber in color, remove it from the heat. It may not seem very thick yet, but it will thicken and lighten in color as it cools.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract and coconut oil, and let the sauce sit for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Use this as a dessert topping, a syrup to flavor coffee, or a sauce with apple or pear dishes.